Valentine's Day We are Good Friends A Mini Unit on Friendship
I have always felt very strongly about how important it is to teach social skills to elementary students. If you have a social curriculum in your school then it is built into the curriculum.. My district used Responsive Classroom as the foundation for their social curriculum. If you can get your kiddos to learn good friendship skills as well as social skills then they are better able to focus on learning and you may spend less time correcting behaviors. My belief is if we model, facilitate and demonstrate a strong social foundation , then the children will also begin to demonstrate these skills.
This resource is a PDF file. Inside you will find:
- A heart sheet for students to brainstorm what makes a good friend.
- A sheet of ideas in case the students do not come up with a good amount of ideas as they work in their groups or partnerships (your choice).
- Can, Have, Are sheet to fill in about what makes a good friend to fill in after discussion and debriefing of ideas that students describe or brainstorm.
- 3 How to be a good helper, friend and listener writing frames.
- 12 “What Would a Good Friend Do” scenarios for groups or partnerships to think about a discuss .
- Hearts to write compliments about what qualities your kiddos recognize about each other.
- A family letter to send home if you choose to have your students complete some of this as homework.
How it works
This mini unit was designed to enable children to see good qualities in their friends and be respectful of each other. This is a packet of activities that are aligned with Common Core with writing, critical thinking, problem solving and group or partner work to encourage student to think about what makes a good friend.
About Sunshine and Lollipops
Kathy is a retired 1st and 2nd grade looping teacher, who taught full time and part time in her hometown of Springfield, PA for 30+ years. She is wife, mom of three grown children and as of today a Mimi of three with one on the way. Kathy volunteers in her daughter’s Kindergarten Special Education classroom weekly. She loves to create resources, write (blog) and has an obsession for shoes and chocolate.
Thank you for purchasing, downloading, browsing, following and inspiring! I hope this brings a bit of sunshine your way! I appreciate customer feedback and comments.